Wednesday, August 27, 2008

3 1/2 weeks already?!

I can't believe little E has been in our lives, or more accurately, dictating the course of our lives for almost 4 weeks! Sorry for the light posting, as you can imagine, there's not much time now. In fact, right now E is stirring for his next feeding. Luckily M is home today, so he is going to take care of this feeding.

I must say, when you have a newborn, you become astutely aware of choices. For example, when E is falling asleep after a feeding, I am thinking "ok, what do I have time for and what do I want to do--sleep, eat or get a chore done?" More often than not, sleep wins. Especially when M is gone for work and I'm on full-time duty by myself for 24 hours. It's tough getting up every 2-2 1/2 hours to feed E! Throw in a breast attempt every other feeding (trying to get him to take the breast), a diaper change and 20 minutes of pumping time (plus equipment clean up each and every time) and I'm left with roughly 1 hour or so. Anything after that, I'm playing with fire. If I leave the house without having pumped, E will be eating formula at the next feed. And god forbid I leave the house without any food, well then, I'm just asking for punishment. It's not like those lucky moms whose babies are [1] full term and [2] can take to the breast immediately. I dont have the option of throwing a boob at him when we're out. I've gotta either have my hand pump and the foresight to pump ferociously before he starts wailing or have some formula on me. Needless to say, we have learned that lesson!



But all in all, we are doing great. It defintiely takes some adjusting to get used to a new person in your life and making the necessary changes to accomodate him. He needs us! Plus, we have to account for at least an hour a day of just staring at him when he's sleeping. :-) He's our little peanut!



Other observations:

People LOVE babies! Every time we've been out in public with him, women will stop us and want to see him. Aww him and ask how old he is. Tell us how precious it is to have a little baby (no doubt remembering that time in their lives as well). Getting knowing glances from moms and dads of how difficult it is to manuever around. Today we went to Costco and spent at least 10 minutes dicking around with the Baby Bjorn. Who the f** designed that thing? It's impossible to put it on and get the baby in it (without dropping your child) without a second pair of hands. Impossible!



People are nicer to you when you have a baby with you. I don't know why! But it's totally true.



People are incredibly generous when it comes to your baby. Today alone we've recieved a very generous sum of money as a gift to E (one in the form of a US Savings Bond and the other money from a relative). E's grandmother is setting up a CD or something for him. We've recieved baby gifts from friends and family all over the place! Even our housecleaner dropped by the house with some baby gifts. That was the show stopper--our housecleaner giving up baby gifts? WOW! That is seriously sweet. I've especially loved the folks who've made us meals and brought food. That is a gift that keeps on giving because I can get more sleep, get other stuff done, pump more, etc.

Finally, here are some recent shots of E:

Dad holding E fresh after a bath. Spiky hair!



E's first bath


Tummy time with Guinness

2 comments:

Arvay said...

Awwww he's a cutie. I'm glad your experiences with the public have been so positive. The whole "childfree" thing can get ugly. Are the kitties nice to him? Friends of mine with a savage cat and two toddlers report that the savage cat is actually verrrrry tolerant of the human babies. I guess they have some understanding.

Anonymous said...

the kitties basically leave him alone, with the exception of the occasional sniff. they have an understanding too:-)