Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Reading again: Bel Canto book review

Am I the only person on the planet (over 18 included) who is not reading the Twilight series? I don't get it. It's like my aversion to cartoons (and that includes The Family Guy, The Simpson and any other adult-oriented cartoon) and all things sci-fi. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that the Twilight series (as did the Harry Potter series) qualifies as sci-fi. As I understand it, it's about teenaged vampires.

I feel bad being so judgmental, it's obviously very popular. But I just can't get on board with teenage vampire love. Just like I couldn't get into pre-teen sorcery.

So, instead, I finally finished one of my many Girls' Book Exchange acquisitions--Bel Canto. And I must say, I was less than impressed. It came highly recommended, as did Ann Patchett's other books, and I was ... quite honestly... bored. It drug on and on and on. Yes, they were held hostage. But for 4 freakin' months? Don't buy it. And then BAM it was over. (Spoiler Alert) All of a sudden, in the last 10 pages, the government busts up the joint, kills all the terrorists and breaks up the love fest. Then 2 of the main characters, who were in love with 2 of the terrorists, end up marrying each other. WTF?!?!

L-A-M-E. In my humble opinion, this is a DUD. Skip it.

2 comments:

The Enforcer said...

I'm not reading the Twilight series. I'm not a 15 year old girl. And I though Bel Canto was LAAAAAAME. Thank god its a short read, but it still felt like it was *dragging*. Yeah, I'm with you. Not a fan.

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can say that I acquiesce in with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is even now a question as you did in the decrease publication of this solicitation www.google.com/ie?as_q=biotin shampoo nexxus ?
I noticed the axiom you have in the offing not used. Or you use the dark methods of promotion of the resource. I take a week and do necheg