Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pregnancy rant #1 and Aloha!

I. AM. FAT. And this is really bothering me. It does not matter that I "have a reason." I do not enjoy getting fatter. It does not matter that it's "for a good cause." It does not matter that it may be "water weight." None of that matters, so word to the wise, don't tell a pregnant woman that all is a-okay if (or rather when) she complains about weight gain.

I don't really know when this all happened. Before I went to Japan I was in great shape, my legs resembled their old selves, my arms weren't bad and my stomach.... well I had no hope for that. I'm not delusional. But after a week of being back home and sick, then 5 hard-core workouts before leaving for Maui (btw, Aloha!) I am still looking like a massive fat ass.

For the first time in recent recollection, I have visible cellulite on my ass and back of thighs. And speaking of my thighs, could they be any bigger? Jesus.

Needless to say, this is making me very uncomfortable in my own skin in Maui. I hate, generally, going on a beach vacation being even 5 lbs over my "comfortable" range. I am firmly OUT of that range and in whale-poaching range now.

For some pregnant women this may not be a big deal. But for someone who has spent her entire life watching what she eats (within reason of course) and working out with some regularity and intensity, this is very difficult. I am having a very. hard. time getting over this. And it's only going to get worse. I am perfectly aware of that.

Anyways, Aloha from Maui! Other than the fat factor, we are enjoying ourselves. The weather is pretty wierd today, so M just surfed a little bit and now we're chillin' at our fat hotel. We've never stayed at such a nice hotel in Maui. We've both realized, with certain clarity, that we vacation very differently than most of the people we've encountered. We generally don't:

[1] Pay more than $100 bucks a night for a hotel room. Or stay in hotels period. We always rent a condo/apartment so we can buy groceries and eat out less.
[2] Stay in our hotel room/apartment for any period of time. We sleep, wake up, eat breakfast and leave all day almost every day while we are here.
[3] Come down to Wailea for any discernible amount of time. And now we are certain we never will again. French toast is $25 bucks here at the Fairmont! f-that!
[4] Shop at the hotel grocery/convenience store for staples like water, fruit, soda. $8 bucks for Evian?!

We've just realized that we are probably considered cheapskates. But honestly, when I can spend $10 bucks on lunch for the both of us or eat on the premises for roughly 10 times that amount, who would eat here? Sure, it's easy and convenient. But [1] It makes no sense to do so and [2] spending all your time in Wailea and thinking you're actually experiencing real Maui is completely delusional.

Are we budget-travel snobs?

Don't get me wrong, this hotel is amazing. Our suite is bigger than many apartments in San Francisco and Manhattan. This hotel has a great beach onsite for which they provide beach chairs, towels, snorkeling geat and boogey boards all for free. And dudes who will bring you cocktails and food all the livelong day. But that's not really our gig, so it's just really wierd. We'd rather drive to some out-of-the-way secluded beach where we're the only ones, with our cooler and subway sandwiches and read or surf the afternoon away. Then come back to the room, shower and change and have a nice dinner out.

Anyways. Mahalo for listening to my rant(s). Despite my complaints, we are having a great time so far and looking forward to a lovely week here in paradise. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh... seriously, I mentioned to E that you are looking awesome in your pregnancy after we saw you in tokyo. You don't even look close to as pregnant as you are -- you've obviously (to me) only gained weight in your stomach, and seriously, speaking as someone who ripped her favorite jeans, your thighs look absolutely fine.

In other news, I feel you on realizing you don't travel like other people -- we don't either. Who, other than us, plans a vacation for 18 months? Talk about obsessing... But, really, to each his own, it's VACATION.

-bt

-bt

The Enforcer said...

If it's any consolation, I just saw you a few days ago and thought that you looked wonderful. DJC even concurred (and he never notices things like that!)

And I would MUCH rather take off to some secluded beach as opposed to fighting the touristy crowds. Beaches are meant to be quiet and peaceful...not all assholes and elbows. And $8 for water?! EFF THAT for sure!

lucky_girl said...

Thanks for the words of support ladies! After blogging I ran down to the hotel gym (which is actually better than our regular gym). Cant complain if I'm not going to do anything about it! -LG