Tuesday, September 18, 2007

2008: Year of the Wedding (not Year of the Pig)

I don't know what's in the water these days, but it seems like everyone we know is getting married. Every year since 1998, M and I have attended on average 3-4 weddings a year. That's normal I'd say given our age and where we are in our lives. This year was a little higher, we're attending our 5th wedding in 2 weeks. But next year is unprecedented, we have been invited to 6 weddings. 6 weddings people! These are all friends that we've known for a long time, some of these friends have been there with me in the trenches of my first summer associate experience, studying & taking the bar, my first year of practice, and one I've known since junior high. So it's not like they are weddings we want to miss. The other interesting thing is that even though 4 of the 6 couples live here in the Bay Area, only one of the weddings will actually be here, local. In fact (i'm certainly not complaining about this) we have 2 in Oahu back-to-back. This is insane! I'm starting to feel like we're wedding crashers, without the crashing part. I honestly don't know how we are invited to so many weddings. Don't get me wrong, I love going and I'm honored that these wonderful people have asked us to be there on their most special day. But I'm starting to wonder if we have a neon sign above our heads that says "Invite me!"

So next year, in lieu of a single, long vacation M and I are taking many mini vacations to the following amazing destinations: Savannah, Milwaukee (in the summer I hear it's beautiful!), Tahoe and Honolulu (twice). Woo hoo!

Don't remind me how much all of this is going to cost. Even a rough calculation of just wedding gifts and bridal shower gifts (not including travel, bachelorette parties, etc) over the past 10 years brings us to about $5000. It's gonna get crazy once all of these newlyweds start having babies.

There may be a chance that I'll be unable to attend a few of these weddings if (fingers crossed) I get pregnant again. But I'm hoping I can go to at least one of the Hawaii weddings, even if it's 9 months pregnant or with a newborn. Cuz you know, that's our old 'hood, so it's only fitting it's the first place our kid would go with us.

2 comments:

The Enforcer said...

Sorry, but being engaged to someone from Milwaukee and having been there during every season, I can safely say that there is NO time of year that Milwaukee is "beautiful".
;)

Anonymous said...

Darn. There is supposed to be a big italian food festival the week we are going... I had such high hopes for that!