Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Back in the States



Going to Canada is always an interesting experience for lots of reasons. First, M has family there, so we're always zipping off to see someone regardless of what province we're in. BC, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia--seriously. Whaddya need. But also because it's seriously M's turf! Since M has an insanely good memory, he rememers every slight detail about his life there. For example, ever since I've known him, he's been singing the theme song for their version of Little Caesar's Pizza.. and I thought it was a joke. (14 years of hearing this little ditty people, 14 years) No joke.
967 11-11, call Pizza Pizza hey hey hey!

Pizza Pizza's number is still the same! In fact it's plastered all over their signage in the City.


We also had to do all the traditional Canada stuff--Tim Hortons Timbits (yum) and coffee. For those of you not married to a Canuck, Timbits are the part of the donut cut out to make the hole. Genius way to make a buck from every part of a donut.
We went to Sobey's (grocery chain) and Shoppers (Walgreen's) for various items. We drove 1400 kms in 2 days (canadians drive long distances for fun, seriously). We drank a few Alexander Keith's. Yum. We rode the red rocket in TO. Toronto is called TO by locals, the Red Rocket is the subway. We seriously did it all. And that was only the first 3 days. We then flew a few thousand more kms to Halifax, Nova Scotia to visit the other side of the family and surprise M's grandma for her 80th birthday. As exhausting as this trip was, I absolutely love visiting that side of the family. They have their own flavor of crazy (and now I see where M's mom gets it), but I adore the family. The cousins are fantastic, even when they're dealing with some seriously f'ed up sh*t. It makes me wish they lived closer.

But visiting Canada this time made me think about how awesome it is. Yeah, the taxes are high but every single person has healthcare. The people are kind, they've got some kick ass cities with awesome food, waterfronts and nature. Think about it, the population of the entire country is roughly the same as California (33Mil) and they've got the whole damn country to spread out in! Canada also has an endearing quality that I've never felt here. Canadians love their country. It's the wierdest thing being an American and seeing that. Half the country here doesnt support the President at any given time and everyone bitches about everything. (with good cause, dont get me wrong) But it's just not like that up there and it's kinda refreshing.

I also love how education is still accessible to everyone. It's not insanely expensive like it is here (due in part to the high taxes). But Canadians also place true value on trade schools. They aren't looked down upon, in fact electricians, machinists, mechanics are viewed as professions. That's one thing we don't do here. Sure, you can become an electrician or plumber, but you're never going to be treated as a professional like a businessperson or something. It's just different up there.

One other thing that's super cool? It's a dual language country, so even if you don't want to, you will learn French if you live there. I love it. It's perfect because the English translation is always there in case I couldn't figure out what the sign said or what the flight attendant was saying. We listened to a few hours of French radio on the way up to Northern Ontario (we were literally across the lake from Quebec, I could have swam there) and it was awesome. Everyone speaks some French, regardless of how long it's been since they've practiced, because it's literally everywhere. M's little 6 year old cousin recited the Three Little Pigs to us in French. And she learned French in her french immersion classes at her public school. Love it!

I don't know if it's all the good clean Canadian air, the abundance of trees or just plain having some time off, but I heart Canada now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally feel you. Same feeling after our visit to Vancouver.

-bt

Arvay said...

Interesting. I was just talking the other day about how it's a shame that trade professions seem to be dying in the country. At any rate, I'm glad you had a good time! You surely deserve it!

The Enforcer said...

I've considered, on more than one occasion, a move to BC. I SO loved Vancouver when I visited and thought to myself that I really could live there. I could learn to deal with the cold.
Oh, and I TOTALLY (heart) Tim Horton's! Where else can you get a BLT and a dozen donuts in the same place?! Genius, I tell you...

Anonymous said...

that's funny bc we're seriously talking abt making BC our retirement home. ideally having a place in mexico for when it gets too cold :-)
-lucky_girl

Arvay said...

Move to BC! Then you can be within road trip distance of meeeee!!

lucky_girl said...

hee hee! that'd be awesome. i am so looking forward (fingers crossed) to coming up for a visit next labor day!