Sunday, September 30, 2007

Can you say #3?!

Ok, I should preface this by saying that I'm not a sports junkie. I don't know much about stats for any popular sport, I probably can't tell you much about most of the players on my favorite team, but like my love of wine, I do know that I love me some Cal Bears Football. And this was an unbelievable weekend to be a Bears fan. After a nailbiting game on Saturday with the Oregon Ducks (M is a Duck fan, through and through), the Bears staked their claim to the #2 spot in the Pac-10 and the #3 spot in the country!!! (according to the latest AP Poll). http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3043603
I could not be more thrilled!

Sadly this comes as a blow to the Ducks, one of whom is my hubby, so the game yesterday was pretty intense. But a funny story too... see we were to attend a wedding in Sonoma yesterday afternoon that started at 5pm. As you probably know, the game wasn't over until almost 5pm. So, while we watched the game, we got ready for the wedding on commercial breaks, yelling to each other when to come back to the family room because the game was back on. M was frantically packing for his trip Sunday morning (5am no less), doing dishes, ironing his shirt for the wedding; while I was running around with one shoe on/off, curling my hair, trying to do makeup and not burn myself between runs back to the TV. Yup, this is how we roll.

We finally got the Tivo up to the "LiveTV" part and were able to then jump in the car, which M had already programmed to 810am, and drive up to Sonoma. I don't remember much about the drive except being scared that M was driving. That was perhaps a bad judgment call on my part. But we made it alive... and with about 10 minutes to spare before the ceremony started. But poor M had to compose himself, and I did have to remind him to cheer up a bit. It was a wedding for the love of (insert spiritual icon of choice)! Although that did not stop us, or anyone else at the wedding, from lamenting or celebrating the outcome of the Cal-Oregon game, as well as the Florida game (a lot of East Coasters in attendance). I seriously gave one of our servers a high-five when he revealed that he was a Cal fan too and had to miss the last part of the game to get the winery ready for this wedding.

I was talking to W this afternoon about how her fiancee handled the outcome. W is also in a Duck-Bear household, so we often comiserate about how our boys are handling things. Similarly, V was less than thrilled. He has now vowed to "have nothing to do with those Bears," which could be a problem since us girls want to attend some games together! :-)


Wintermute promises to grow up next weekend. I, on the other hand, do not. The Bears deserve bragging rights this year! Wintermute is right, we may be notorious for complaining that we don't get respect in the BCS polls. (which we don't!) So it's no surprise when I say that, true to form, I believe we (the Bears and the Pac-10) will finally get some respect this Fall.

Roll on you Bears......


2 comments:

The Enforcer said...

No, no...I said I promise to "try" to grow up next weekend...and that comment was in reference to my love of John David Booty's name. ;)

See what I did there? I included the "try" part, because we all know its not gonna happen! I left myself an out, there. LOL

lucky_girl said...

Are you sure you didnt go to law school too?
JDB may be eye candy, but have you heard him speak lately? Dude. It's truly a travesty that he'll graduate from one of the top schools in the country.