Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Challenges

As of late, there have been challenges thrown my (our) way... most recently...

We hosted a weekend of Big Crush at my family home, which was fun and challenging at the same time. On the one hand, it was great having our good friends at the house with us for a nice getaway weekend, wine tasting was a blast, albeit crowded and overrun with frat boys and plastics (see wintermute's blog). On the other hand, even though we don't have kids yet, it was as difficult as dealing with a colic infant all night long for an entire weekend. M and I didn't sleep, really sleep, at all Friday or Saturday night, yet we drank Friday night and all day Saturday with our guests. We certainly tried to be good hosts, but when you're dealing with *ah-hem* disgusting animal health issues, while trying to keep your guests away from the nasty that is occuring all weekend, it's quite exhausting. Luckily for us, H and O were the most gracious guests, the most understanding guests imaginable. But needless to say we were unbelievably exhausted driving back to the bay area Sunday night (with an accident at the 80-west/50-west junction no less).**

Even more recently, we have just learned that a very good, deserving friend/couple has found out she is pregnant. Over the past couple months B and I have been sharing our ups/downs/insight/speculation/grievances regarding getting pregnant and dealing with my miscarriage. And despite her predictions to the contrary, she and F were so lucky as to concieve on their first try! Of course, I could not be more thrilled for them both. Truly. I am so excited for them and can only hope, with all my heart, that they never have to experience what we went through. But there is an undeniable part of me that is (I hate to say it) jealous. Eww. I know. Gross. I hate it! I am excited, jealous and hopeful that M and I will have similar luck too--all at the same time.

So, it has definitely been a weekend/beginning of the week of challenges. The upside is also a double-edged sword as well. While we acquired a significant amount of lovely, amazing and enjoyable wine during our weekend in wine country, I am also hoping that I am pregnant and thus won't be able to enjoy said wine for another year-ish. :-) C'est la vie, no?

**For H, O, K and G: The animal issues you witnessed were NOT normal. My dad took her to the vet Sunday morning where she recieved treatment for severe dehydration (due to the issues you witnessed) and has been on medication to deal with those issues since. When she returned to the house Sunday night, after spending 6 hours at the emergency vet clinic, she was a completely different dog than the one you encountered. So I'm sorry to had to go through that! She's not normally like that, I swear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm SO glad she's feeling better- that's great news!!! You were troopers all weekend. And if she had to get sick, I'm just glad you were there to take care of her.

The Enforcer said...

OH NO! I'm so sorry to hear that she was not well. I felt so bad for her that weekend! I also feel bad about the way I reacted to the whole situation. I realize that I might not have been the most gracious guest and I sincerely apologize. It was just not a good weekend for Clip and I both. I'm sorry we sucked. :( But I am very thankful that we have such cool friends to enjoy wine with. Thanks so much for offering your parents' house and for driving. And I'm glad to hear that the pooch is feeling better. Poor dear.