Sunday, November 18, 2007

Japan Part Two (Ni): Everything is funkier in Japan

It's taken quite awhile for me to get to this second post, but if you've read some of the other posts, you know why.

Japanese Fashion: I wish I had taken pictures of some of the tragedies I witnessed on any given subway in Tokyo. The shock value alone would have been worth it. But I felt wierd pointing a camera at some strange girl/guy while trying to stifle my laughter and balance the load of bags & packages we always had in transit. (or the yummy bakery goodies we always stopped to eat--note to BT). Let me just describe a typical outfit by a young fashionista: horribly dyed blonde hair with standard black roots, her hair pulled up in a sequinced red scrunchie, plaid fitted flannel shirt with a totally contrasting shirt underneath peeking out, over a tu-tu styled black skirt overlaid with a giant alligator belt, then tights and high top converse rolled down. Now, the tights weren't any tights. I dont know how, but she managed to find tights where one leg was black & white striped while the other was bright purple with multi-colored polka dots on it. Oh, and she had a gigantic faux-patent leather bag to tie the outfit together.
Something like this, but worse:
Or this:














The time I saw that girl, I literally started laughing and had to walk away. There were obviously lesser offenders, but not too much better. Even the boys were guilty, wearing tight pants, or skinny jeans, in wierd colors.

It was never really this bad, thankfully:



But if I saw that, I would not have been surprised.

The one thing I didn't mind too much (because it made sense) was that everyone carries a bag on the subway. Men, women, children, elderly. Everyone. And it's because you need to. When you ride public transportation all day, everywhere and are never in one spot to gather your things, or you do your shopping all around town (many do), you will inevitably end up with lots of crap. So even men carry "man bags." (think Joey on Friends and his "fashionable"man bag) That I didnt mind so much. But everything else? . . . WOW. 'Nuf said.
Next time: cool stuff in Japan

No comments: