Monday, May 12, 2008

The Gathering: Don't bother

Wow. This book is a major dud. Like I've said before, I always give books 100 pages to get me in and did the same with this one, a book club selection that my fellow book clubbers told me suh-ucked. And boy were they right.

At first I thought it was the author's odd style of bouncing back and forth (without notice, rhyme or apparent reason) between her childhood memories and the present. Between her live brother and dead brother (same guy). But it went on like that in a rambling, nonsensical way for 100 pages--or rather the whole thing--and I couldn't take it anymore. I skimmed the last 10 pages of my 100 goal looking for any change in dialogue or prose and found none.

So, if you like rambling nothingness, then I'd recommend this book. If you prefer books with a discernible point, a plot, some characters you can grab onto, aka anything resembling a normal novel, then this isn't the book for you. (or me).

No comments: