Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Nights like these

Even though it was hotter than a frying pan in our house when I got home from work 'round 6-ish, I do like nights like these out and about. Because it was 85 degrees inside our house at dinnertime, the power was out and I had a super long day on my tired dogs, we decided to eat in downtown SM outside to beat the heat. Apparently everyone had the same idea. We walked downtown and found everyone eating al fresco at fabulous street-side cafes and restaurants on our way to the little Thai joint we like.

In passing, I thought, "I'd love to sit there at the Italian bistro and enjoy a cold glass of Pinot Grigio..." which is why I kept walking to the Thai place. It's too hard to enjoy a hot summer night at a cool Italian cafe with no wine. But M and I were perfectly happy with our meal of spicy clear glass noodle salad and basil beef with fresh spring rolls. A perfect meal for the night.

On our way home, we both commented on how we miss nights like these. It reminded us of summer nights in Sacramento where you could go to dinner at 8pm and it's still light, everyone is wearing flip flops and shorts/sundresses and not the normal Bay Area casual evening wear consisting of windbreakers/parkas and Uggs. (winter's version of flip fops).

So, even though I couldn't enjoy a refreshing glass of sparkling wine or a cool white wine over dinner with M, I did reminisce about nights like these of yore (if you will).

Cheers! If you had a brown out in your area too this evening, I hope you enjoyed it!

No comments: