Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Being conservative?

So, once one finds out one is pregnant (and it's good news) the natural reaction is to want to share the good news with those close to you. In all other instances in life, I tend to be liberal-- (formerly) with my wine intake during a Saturday night dinner with close friends, with my spending on vacation and not to mention my political and social viewpoints. So, to be called "conservative" on my first decision during this pregnancy is quite odd. But apparently true. When I found out I was pregnant (and overcame the shock of "how did this happen? I know how it happened, but how did this happen?") and told M (who was equally shocked)... we decided to wait the prescribed 12 weeks to tell people.

As it turns out, I'm a pretty bad secret keeper. No shock there. But when a close friend said, "I completely understand you wanting to wait. It's the conservative thing to do," I was a bit taken aback. Never having been associated with the conservative side of things, it's definitely wierd. But I guess I am in this case. And I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. Although the odds of a healthy, 30-ish woman of carrying a first child to term tend to be in my favor, I am very aware of the other possibility.

These notions aside, we (I cringe to say "we" here, but it is a "we" situation) are both extremely happy with our little surprise. Big surprise. Here's to hoping the next 7 1/2 months go well and in the Spring of 2008 we'll have good news to report!


No comments: