Sunday, December 23, 2007

Books

I love books. Sometimes I forget how much I do, but then I think back to how hardcore I was when I was a kid. A few examples . . .

In elementary school on summer breaks between 4th, 5th and 6th grade, my school had a Reading Challenge. For every hundred pages read, each student's rocket would move along in space on the big bulletin board in the hallway. I don't really recall how the powers that be kept track of our reading during the summer, but that wasn't really my concern. My concern was that my rocket ship moved the farthest, fastest. So I read. And read. And read. My rocket ship went around the solar system 3 times that summer. And I thought that was so cool.

Not nerdy enough? M likes this one . . .

On long car rides as a kid (back when we did vacations Griswold-style) I would read the whole way. My parents must have loved that, come to think of it. I would read during all the daylight hours on the road and squint during sunset. And when it got dark I would raise my book up so I could read by the headlights of the car behind us. Till my dad told me to stop because I'd hurt my eyes and end up needing glasses.

Yup. I'm cool. I'm happy to report that I don't currently wear glasses and still have pretty awesome vision, and that's after 3 years of law school, bar studies and reading umpteen cases as a fledgling lawyer. (to be fair, I certainly didn't read *all* of the assigned cases in law school :-))

Which is why, like Wintermute, I've added some book lists to my blog. I've also picked up on BT's idea a couple years ago of adopting a 25 Book Challenge for the past two years. This year I might actually make it too. So, I'm hoping to add my two cents on books I've read. Maybe you can comment on books you've read and enjoyed too. I know there's some crazy website out there where you can share book lists with your friends (I've gotten 2 invites I have yet to redeem for such a thing). But I like this idea better because, frankly, it's less work for me. And I like that.

So happy reading! And for those of you who are local, I will see you at the Girls' Fondue, Frivolo and Book Exchange in January!

3 comments:

The Enforcer said...

Ugh! You're reading the Poisonwood Bible?! NOOOO!! (kidding...only kidding)
I actually liked this book at the beginning...but it seemed to drag a bit. Like the author couldn't bear to end the book.
It's a good read, but for me, the end was very welcomed.
Lemme know what you think...

lucky_girl said...

That's what i remember from the last time I tried to read it. I got about 300-ish pages in and couldnt finish it. So it's that bad? That's the way I felt about A Hundred Years of Solitude (same author as the book you're reading). I literally had 10 pages to go and couldnt finish it because i was DONE. D-O-N-E. i hope this time Poisonwood isn't so bad. If it is, I'll move on. But really trying to make my 25 book goal this year!

Anonymous said...

FWIW, I loved the Poisonwood bible.

I loved the preachy father juxtaposed against the tone she tries so hard not to take with her readers about how they should live their lives. She's a preacher too, and she gets it. But yes, storytelling, sometimes, it's not her biggest strength.