Sunday, December 30, 2007

Cirque du Soleil

Hm. Now that I think of it, perhaps I understated our gift situation. We did get and give some pretty cool gifts. For my birthday, or part of it, M took me to Kooza in the city on Friday night, Tapis Rouge style. It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Maybe it was because I've never seen a Cirque du Soleil production before, but I was seriously in awe the entire time.

My personal favs were the super-stretchy contortionist trio, who rocked it every which way to Sunday and the Wheel of Death guys. You could tell they got a serious high (and ego boost) from that performance. It was awesome. I also thought the "chorus" folks (or whatever the acrobat version of that term may be) were unbelievable!

I'm glad we splurged for the Tapis Rouge as well. Cuz there ain't nothing like seeing some trippy Cirque du Soleil acrobats with a glass of red wine in my hands and some yummy appetizers and desserts in my belly. Plus we had reserved parking (which turned out to be key because the Emerald Bowl was at At&t park that same night) and our own little VIP area to pee and escape the crowds. Emphasis on "own place to pee."

If you do have the chance to see this show before it leaves the Bay Area, I highly recommend it. It's quite a steal, especially since most of the time you have to go to Vegas to see it and pay for a hotel or whatnot during your stay, and it's just so effin' cool.

And funny side note: we once again ran into a couple we know for the 3rd time, completely randomly, in at least 4 months. The guy, V, I used to work with at Big Law firm A. He's now dating a woman who, for the past 3 events we've seen her at, never really spoke to us directly, even when spoken to. And Friday, for some reason, she hugged us both when we saw each other at the Tapis Rouge tent and conversed normally. Hm. Odd.

M chalked it up to "maybe the last few times we saw them they had just had a fight or something." I dunno. It was just wierd. It's even wierder that we keep running into them at places we have in common--Cal football games (pre-game or at the actual game) and events like Kooza. But then again, the legal community in the Bay Area is quite small and three of the four of us are lawyers. And V does love to talk up the pilot business with M. So it's all good.

Wintermute, I hope you start feeling better soon! BT, good to see you both tonight.

Salute!

2 comments:

The Enforcer said...

I can't even tell you much I LOVE the Cirque. I have seen several productions, both traveling and in Vegas, and man, I just love them so, so, so much! My fave, of course, is O at the Bellagio just because of the water aspect and the diving, but in terms of the traveling shows, I love love LOVE Varekai. Totally amazing.
So glad you got to see a Cirque show (finally!) and that you got to do it in style.
YAY!!!

lucky_girl said...

DUDE! I have to see the water one at the Bellagio. I can't even fathom how awesome it would be. Are we going there for your b-day this year? :-)