Sunday, December 23, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini)

I just finished this book and absolutely loved it. If you read Kite Runner by the same author and felt slighted, fear not. This book is far better than its predecessor. I'll edit out my spoiler comments (I keep a running log of my thoughts of books I've read on the previously-mentioned Book Challenge list I have).

THIS BOOK IS AMAZING. I wasn't able to put this book down; a good sign when I can't turn out the light at 2am because I need to know what happens with the characters. This book is a tale of two women’s lives who seemingly have totally separate existences but eventually come to be key forces in each other's lives. Mariam, a woman born a bastard whose father abandons her and gives her away in marriage to a horrible man in Kabul a few weeks after a tragic event in her life. And Laila, a woman 20 years her junior, born into a well-educated family in Kabul, who finds love in her childhood friend, Tariq, but ends up being separated from him because of the wars and unconscionable violence in Afghanistan from the 80’s on. I loved how the author incorporated so much history in a way that didn't bore me to tears. I also loved how the author reminded me of young love, something I experienced myself, but in far different circumstances. It was so intelligently written, so heartfelt. I absolutely fell in love with these characters. While it does wrap up a tad nicely, it's a lovely story I will definitely pass on.

No comments: