Thursday, March 6, 2008

The test results are in . . .

In brief, the wierd dr. data I got on Monday where the doc said I was in the high range of normal is called the NT test and is done (in the Bay Area and in the LA Area only for California) as part of Integrated Screening. IS/SS is performed to test for the chance of the baby having Down Syndrome. I had the blood work done (as per the usual course) Monday and in conjunction with the NT test and results (on Monday where the doc gave me a scare)--BT was right. We had no reason to be worried. The results came back NEGATIVE! Yay!

All a positive would have meant is that in my case (because I chose to do Sequential screening instead of Integrated) if my "risk profile" came back anything under 1/50 they would say I was positive and that the baby had a 1/50 chance of Downs and I'd need to do an amniocentisis. (with Integrated, a positive would be anyone who was below 1/100). My results came back 1/125, which is great.

Of course there's no way to be 100% sure, but given the odds, I'm feeling pretty comfortable. And I'm definitely not willing to endure the risks associated with an amnio, which are significantly less than what they have been in the past. And even if I had to do one, I'm assured it's performed perfectly safely by CPMC and the Dr. who'd be doing it on me with a 1/1600 chance of miscarriage and 30 years of experience (thanks BT for asking how much experience Dr. O has and how many amnios he's performed).

So, for the non-pregnant ladies and the non-scientifically inclined, all this means is YAY! Everything is fine thus far. I'll do another round of blood tests in 2 weeks. That, in addition to my 14-week appointment coming up on March 17th (which will now actually be my 15 week appointment) is all good stuff because M will finally get to be there for those 2 events.

PLUS, and most importantly, he'll get to be there for the 18 week ultrasound (which is the 3rd part of the Integrated/Sequential screening tests) and when we'll get to find out the sex of the baby. YAY again!!

Consider yourself completely updated :-)

No comments: