Sunday, June 8, 2008

Reflections from the Lake

M and I spent the weekend here in beautiful Lake Tahoe for the wedding of a good friend. Let me tell ya, if a weekend in Tahoe can't instill some reflection and relaxation in you, then you are seriously wound up. We've only been here for 2 days and nights and already I feel so much better (despite the too-soft cabin bed on my sore, pregnant back)

Yesterday I went on a walk with a very good friend and we just talked and talked, catching up after what seems like a long time. We both couldn't help but be awed by the amazing views of the Lake. I couldn't stop saying "I've forgotten how beautiful the Lake is, it's been so long!" And it really has. It's been at least 10 or so years since M or I have been up here at all and at least 15 or 16 since I've been here in the summer. WOW. The Lake is just so.... blue, the most amazing deep blue. So clear, so majestic, so awesome set against the snow-capped mountains. It's literally a divine place if one could ever be imagined and created.

After a walk with my friend, a shorter walk along the lake shore with M and attending the wedding on the Lake's shore, I've given pause to think, for one of the few times in my life, particularly as of late.

I am so lucky that my husband is my best friend. We were at the wedding, laughing and watching all of the people dance, drink and have a good time and although I couldn't partake in much more than sitting at our very fun table, I was so glad to be there. I saw old couples ripping up the dance floor while at the same time laughing at each other and themselves, just having a grand time. I saw young couples expecting their first and second babies seriously in love. Of course the bride and groom, who are one of those couples I think "wow, they are really going to make it." And I saw all of their family members gather round and create the most loving and supportive environment for their most recent family additions and the budding couple. All of this with Lake Tahoe in the backdrop.

I looked around and saw those young couples in love and some seriously making out at their tables and then I saw what M and I must look like to them: sitting at our table absolutely crying with laughter, holding hands and in our own world too, and thought, this is so cool. Sure, M and I are not in this place where we are making out in public anymore. We are so much farther along on our path. We have been together for 15 years but we are still in love. M is so in love with his son that it makes my heart ache. He still (crazily enough) thinks I am beautiful even though I've gained 20 lbs of baby weight right now. And he knows me well enough to know that I need to hear all of that right now. So yes, M is my best friend, the best husband I could ever ask for and like the officiant at the wedding said yesterday, he makes me remember why we said those vows and how true they stand today (almost) 8 years later.

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that we've been together for almost 15 years. But last night at the reception we kept talking to people from high school (the groom has kept insanely close with his high school and college friends), most of whom were in different crowds from BT and I during high school, and M kept remembering some of them. He's been around that long! This one ran track with him, this one he played some other sport with, that one was a friend of a friend. One of the last guys we talked to, another fly boy (pilot), told M "yeah, you do look familiar!" after hearing that we had been together since high school. One of the groom's friends from childhood went to high school with M (and as it turns out, also went to U of O with M and the groom, duh). And at one of the two tables full of the groom's college buddies (University of Oregon, where M also went to college) there was a girl that lived across the dorm from M. It was insane and fun all at the same time.

I know it must have been a weekend of serious reflection and some difficult reflection for some people. Something about weddings and definitely something about Lake Tahoe does that. I, for one, will remember this weekend, one of the final getaways before our son is born, as one where I became solid and comfortable in the knowledge that M will be a great dad and continue to be a great husband. Not for a second did I ever doubt that before, but something clicked in me this weekend and I knew he is ready and has been for quite some time.

1 comment:

The Enforcer said...

Aww, this is a really sweet post :)