Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Stanley Cup games always make me cry

Ok, not literally, but pretty darn close. I went to a playoff game this series and I felt SO BAD for the losing team, I wanted to cry. I mean, sitting there (5 rows from the ice, nonetheless) watching them put their hearts, souls, bodies, every cell and every effort on the ice to win the game in the hopes of winning the Cup, it always makes me feel so so bad for whichever team loses.

And tonight is no exception. Pittsburgh has done an amazing job this series, not to mention Crosby being such a baby player (ok, kind of, but compared to the vets on the ice tonight, yes) and it just made me so sad to watch the last few minutes of the game thinking and hoping (even to the last 1.8 seconds when the puck passed right through the goal) that Pittsburgh might tie it up and go into overtime again.

M and I feel the same about institutions like Detroit. And the Lakers. And USC. We always root for the other team. For some reason it feels like they deserve it so much more simply because they haven't won it as much or as many times as those institutions.

I'm not even one for pro sports (with the exception of hockey), but it will be interesting to see what happens between the Lakers and the Celtics. Of course I am rooting for the Celtics. Mainly because I cant stand Kobe. But for the same reason I want all underdogs to win--because it's only fair dammit!

Watching the Red Wings players each take their turn on the ice with the cup (which they do deserve to be fair), I couldn't help but think of how each of the Penguins must feel thinking, "fuck, that could have been us."

To you Pittsburgh I say "Cheers and well done. Have many beers tonight to celebrate your accomplishment."

No comments: