Friday, July 18, 2008

32 weeks!

Finally! I'm hitting another self-designated milestone, 32 weeks. Woo hoo! On Monday we will see our little boy in an ultrasound, the first time since we found out he was a boy at 17 1/2 weeks. We are both looking forward to this appointment. Hopefully everything is a-ok, status quo and it doesn't change anything as far as the outlook for the next 8 weeks. There's always a chance that his growth is off or I have a placental issue (which is why the doc ordered a third trimester ultrasound to begin with--elevated HcG level in me)... but I'm hoping it was all precautionary.

After my 32-week appointment next week, I'll have to go in weekly for non-stress tests, which I didn't even know were going to be required when they told me at 17 weeks that I had a *slightly* elevated HcG. (so slightly... 2.02 is my number, normal range is up to 2.0) Right now, my only concern with the weekly NSTs are the time consuming factor. I have to go to the hospital (not my dr's office) and get strapped up to a machine for up to an hour. I haven't found out if this is something I can do on a weekend... but hopefully they're not as restrictive as regular business hours.

Anywhoo. Other than that, all is well. Baby boy D is kicking, rolling, pushing, moving, shuddering, etc all the time.

Another interesting development: I recently watching this movie, The Business of Being Born, and I have to be honest, it has seriously changed my mind about how I want to give birth. At least given me some serious food for thought. One of the best lines in the film, "most people do more research on buying a car, a phone, a stereo, than they do on their options for giving birth." Um yeah. Guilty as charged. In fact, the day I saw the film, one of my things to do was "sign up for birthing class," and I was just going to do the one the hospital offered. I mean, they know what they're doing right? uh...

So needless to say, I've been an information hound, reading and re-reading sections I probably glazed over in a book recommended by my midwife, Birthing From Within. Researching natural childbirth options, the possible help of a doula, formulating a list of questions for my dr at my next appointment and heavily researching childbirth prep classes that will educate M and I on pain coping mechanisms that will help me avoid begging for an eppy.

Don't get me wrong, I am reserving my right to cry for an epidural. We haven't gone all "home birth" (not that there is anything wrong with that, in fact M is up for it) and are not anti-hospital. I'm not agro-granola now and moving to a commune to deliver. But I am planning to go into labor and delivery eyes wide open, armed with information and hoping to stand our ground on avoiding unnecessary intervention (M is my designated advocate in the event I go animalistic in labor, which I'm told is almost inevitable). I am also lucky that the ob/gyn practice I've chosen (by accident 8 years ago, who knew?!) firmly believes that midwives will attend your labor and deliver your baby if all is normal and that a doctor will be on call and come in only in the event that a medical emergency calls for it. I am also lucky that I love both of the midwives in my practice and feel 100% confident that they can deliver our son safe and sound.

I do think medicine has its place and can be immensely helpful and obviously necessary for some situations (like my D&C). But if I am lucky enough to have a "normal" labor, I'd like to have the use of my legs, which I won't be able to do if I have an epidural, to get into birthing positions that are conducive to actually giving birth. I'd like to be able to move around and not be stuck on my back in bed for hours trying to push from an unnatural (physiologically-wise) position. Basically, I'd like to be in control of my body as long as I can, and when it's no longer possible, I'd like my body and our baby to guide my labor and delivery--not drugs, an obstetrician's dinner plans or the snowball effect of routine medical intervention (pit, eppy, more pit to deal with the slow-down caused by an eppy, etc, etc).

Thankfully, M has been through the medical system before (many times) and feels as strongly, if not more, than I do about avoiding unnecessary medical intervention if possible. So I feel confident that he will step up and advocate for what we've discussed when the time comes.

Anywhoo.. just a taste of what's to come I guess!

3 comments:

[No Nickname] said...

That's so cool that you have so many options with respect to how your birth plays out. Good for you for taking advantage of learning about all of them. I look forward to hearing about your final decisions and how it works out for you!

-bt

Anonymous said...

We are hoping to keep our options open but also anticipating an adversarial response from the hospital/staff. The next few visits should be telling/informative .... -LG

The Enforcer said...

A friend of mine did the whole home birth thing in her bathtub for both of her girls. Her midwife was present, with a doctor just a phone call away if complications arose. Granted, she is super hippie/homeopathic/anti-ANYTHING having to do with Western medicine, but she said the home birthing worked out really well for her. She was able to walk around until minutes before birth in the comfort of her own home. But yeah, obviously, that's not an option for everyone.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure it'll be right for you. Good luck! =)