Friday, January 4, 2008

And I quote, "Whistler kicks ass"

Indeed it does. As my friend JM just pointed out in an email to me, "and you don't even ski." True, I'm not a skier. But this place could bring the snowbunny out of a desert lizard. It rocks. We're staying in the main Village, which is so convenient. Ski in and ski out to both the Blackbcomb and the Whistler lifts, walking-only streets in the main village, TONS of insane food ranging from very cheap and tasty (my falafel burger yesterday) to expensive and awesome (dinner last night of mushroom soup and mushroom ravioli were both divine).

Today (and yesterday) we had constant snow from flurries to HUGE snowflakes. Check out M in the hip-deep powder!


All said, we got 25cm today as well as yesterday. So no matter what time you hit the slopes, you always had fresh powder. Once I finally got my legs under me (yesterday's runs were a bit choppy and un-fun) I had a blast. I love that you can take lifts to the peak (around 8500 feet) and still make it down on beginner runs. This is us at the top of Blackcomb:





Check this one out, you can't even see my feet up to my knees! And this was a beginner run! Amazing powder.

*Note, if you do come here and you are a beginner-plus at home, you will be a baby beginner here. As in, Easiest Route down (that's what they call the runs for super easy). Regular green beginner runs are NOT beginner, be warned. So if you think you're going to get warmed up on a green and move onto a blue, like I normally do, maybe not so much. I stayed on greens, in fact I was promoted to full greens today (yesterday I was on green/whites aka "Easiest Route Down").

All in all, it's been an awesome trip. The people are fantastic, I've never met so many Aussies and Kiwis outside of Australia/NZ! The food is amazing, the Village is SO FUN and the skiing is amazing. We are so coming back here again.

Here's Whistler Village at night.... so picturesque!


Cheers!

2 comments:

The Enforcer said...

When I last visited Whistler, it was in the middle of summer, July I think. The top of the mountain was still open (because it's a glacier) and we thought that we HAD to ski, just to say that we did it. So, we rented skis, and bought left tickets that allowed us to ski the five runs that were open, and hit the slopes.
I *totally* know what you mean about the runs being harder than what we're used to in Tahoe. A green is not a green in the sense that we know greens. It was a tough day...fun, no doubt, but since it was summer, we were skiing in t-shirts and shorts. My ass was all scraped up from the ice.
Funny thing is that if I had the chance, I'd totally do it again. SO beautiful!!! =)

lucky_girl said...

Dude, that is an awesome story. We gotta go there! I loved it. M and I are already talking about trying to go up there for Thanksgiving or Xmas this year (despite the insane prices) or the Olympics in 2010 if we buy a place up there.