Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Good news to report!

Wow, I can't believe how long I've let my blog go. It's almost as bad as my getting to the gym lately.

Well, here's the good news. . . . M recieved an offer from Virgin America yesterday! YEAH!

Of course, the timing could not be worse. We have 3 trips planned between the 2 of us in the next 3 weeks and almost all of them will inevitably have to be cancelled or rescheduled to [1] accomodate M's first day in training on February 4th and [2] because we LOSE OUR FLIGHT BENEFITS the day M quits his current airine job. AHHHH! No more free flights on United and Delta and reduced fares on almost all other global airlines. SHIT! This is really gonna affect our travel lives. Like kill it.

So, M was the first to cancel his boyz ski trip to Montreal (prepaid and nonrefundable of course), I am awaiting word on whether I'll have to cancel a trip to LAX to visit a very good friend (depending on M's last day of work, I may not be able to fly). And finally, we are in the process of figuring out if M will be able to fly to and from a wedding in Savannah the 2nd weekend in February to which we've [1] already paid for my airfare to Savannah and [2] we've already RSVP'd to. I *hate* to cancel wedding RSVPs because I am aware how expensive weddings are. And I really want to go!

Not being able to fly on our employee benefits is TOUGH man. (I know, I know, cry me a river, but seriously!)

It's going to be a good move for him... the timing is terrible though. C'est la vie! And that could not be more true than for us Dixons. The one thing that's been a constant in our married lives is that if there is a "most difficult" path or the "most inconvenient timing" of anything good or bad in our lives, it will inevitably happen that way for us. That's just the way we roll. No matter how much we schedule for it or make contingency plans, things just end up being difficult in the short run. It's like we're always being tested and stretched to the limits of sanity to make progress in our personal and professional lives. It's the airline industry and there's no other industry I know of that requires quite the same sacrifices, at the last minute (always).

So, please raise a glass for M! More than anyone, he deserves this great opportunity to fly for a super fly airline (pun intended), a start-up no less, and finallly BE BASED AT HOME! Sure, I'm biased. But I've been here for every high and low during this year and a half long interview process and it's been hell for him (especially) and me. I'm so glad it's over!

Fly VA!

Wintermute--are you flying them to Vegas? Or southworst outta OAK? :-) just kiddin' (sorta)

2 comments:

The Enforcer said...

Ugh, flying Southworst outta OAK, because it's a free flight. I've been traveling so much for business and my company lets me keep all my frequent flier miles, so yeah...free flight is better than no flight.

Congrats to M!!! We'll have a beer and some nachos at the Sharks game on Saturday to celebrate! =)

lucky_girl said...

MMM.. stadium nachos. Hells to the yeah. Celebration in order indeed.