Thursday, January 24, 2008

Getting back on the wagon

Well, I did make it to spin last night after all. I do, however, have mixed feelings about it. See, the spin class I go to on Mon and Weds are the most popular ones out of the Peninsula clubs because the instructor is like an Army commander. She beats the shit out of you every time and it's awesome. Our hills are STEEP, the sprints are FAST and she walks around the bikes and makes sure you're not faking it at any point in time during the class.

Well, her class is so popular that I've had to take the option of pre-paying to put my name on the list to get a bike in the class. See all those extra steps? It's not just show up. Prior to January 1st, it was show up 30 mins before class to put your name on the list. Then it was sign up an hour before. Then it was pre-pay to be on the 10 people who are allowed to put their name on the list so they don't have to come an hour before class. I thought that was enough. I was wrong.

I pre-paid for 3 weeks (at a buck each week, it's a deal), showed up to class at 545pm to grab my bike and to my dismay they were ALL taken. I asked around if anyone was on the waitlist (you can put your name on the standby list in case any of the regulars dont show up). No one was. So I waited. And waited. Then the instructor came in and asked for any waitlisters to get off their bike. No one moved. So she did was she calls "starting the class the hard way." She made everyone get off their bikes, go outside the room, and then she called each person on the list by name. THEN you could go get your bikes.

I was #10 on the list, so I knew I had a bike somewhere. As it turned out, one lady, L, thought she had pre-paid for this class. For whatever reason, she wasn't on the list. So I had to be the asshole who took her bike while she collected her things. Friggin' sucked man. She seriously had tears in her eyes, I felt so bad as did the instructor. But our hands were tied! Everyone legitimately had either pre-paid or shown up in time to get on the list, myself included. And as R pointed out, if it was her waiting for a bike and she had pre-paid and was on the list like me, she would have expected me to leave the class too. But R also pointed out that that lady must have had one hell of a shitty day to be cryin' over being kicked out of a spin class.

Equally unfortunate (to me at least) was that her chosen bike was literally in the front of the class. I hate being in the front. The Monday/Wednesday crowd is INTENSE man. It's seriously the most advanced spin class I've ever been to. These folks don't mess around. And normally, neither do I. But I didnt want to be the asshole who took that lady's bike who then didnt go agro during class. So I had to burn it up the entire time. It was rough!

But now that I'm back on the wagon, I'm getting ready to head to the gym today for some much-chiller cardio. Then Bar Method on Friday. Then my weight training class on Saturday. It's good to get back on the wagon. I'm hoping the crappy weather will keep some of the fairweather fans away from the gym tonight so I dont have to look at fogged-up windows whilst jammin' on my favorite machine and hoping to burn off the ridiculous lunch I had today. (dont even ask, I'm ashamed to admit what I broke down and ordered... let's just say it came from a drive-through)

Cheers!

3 comments:

Miss E. said...

I don't think I can handle any exercise that requires that much pre-planning. Yikes. However, I suppose I map out a month-plus worth of training runs. Oh, and another thing, I have NEVER been able to get into a single Kingslover book. Don't know why, just can't...

Anonymous said...

I love that the competitive element of your exercise regimen is primarily *before* the athletic performance. Man, I work out to get away from the competitive nature of my life -- I admire you stick-to-it-iveness on the good spin class. I certainly wouldn't have it. I'd be jealous of those who did, but I just wouldn't have the fortitude.

Anonymous said...

I guess it is a bit extreme, but the class is awesome. so i deal with it. if i hang in there longer than the new years resolutioners, it'll be fine.