Monday, January 7, 2008

Water for Elephants

I just finished this book on our trip to B.C. and loved it. The wierd thing is, I can't totally figure out why. It’s about a young man’s life as a vet for a circus in the 1920s during Prohibition and at the start of the Great Depression. I loved how the author integrated the history of the circus and alot of the history of that time with the story line, but not in a way that was boring or obvious. More like little snippets. Like when she mentioned that the main character goes out into town and is walking among the part of town where the hobos (their term, not mine) live and notice that many of them, although asleep, have their shoes tied to their feet. And that they are mostly young, not older, middle aged as we would typically imagine. The cool part is, in the interview at the end of the book with the author, she confirms that this was indeed true. I like that. Interesting tidbits about history that aren't the least bit boring.

I talked to someone recently who didn't love this book, just liked it. But I really enjoyed it, devoured it really.

So, for 2008, 1 book down, 24 to go!

p.s... in case you're wondering, no, I didn't make the 25 book challenge last year. Missed it by 3 books. However if you count the 6 books I started (and by start I mean gave them each at least 100 pages to pique my interest)... then maybe I made it. Sorta.

Happy reading in 2008!

No comments: