Sunday, February 10, 2008

Amagansett

I finished reading this one before leaving for the sales meeting. Some quick thoughts:

If you are familiar with the East Coast, particularly NY, Long Island and the Hampton area, as well as with some general maritime happenings (fishing towns, sailing terms like 'port' and 'starbird') this book is probably a lot more fun to read. I am not familiar with any of those things having grown up for the most part in the Valley of Northern California. My exposure to anything maritime comes directly from M and even then I can't remember what 'port-side' means. Left or right?

It's a quick read, the cover says it's a haunting love story and thriller. I wouldn't say it was haunting or thrilling. It's basically a murder mystery and love story in which the victim is the lover of one of the fisherman in town. She’s a Manhattanite from a wealthy family who has a house in the Hamptons, so her affair with the local fisherman takes some time to reveal itself. I suppose some of the things were dramatic, but I wouldn’t say it was particularly original. The pieces of the puzzle are hinted at throughout the book. In fact, the author kind of assumes that you paid close enough attention throughout the book that he doesn't even give you a straight ending. If you read the first 3 chapters and go to the last chapter to see whodunit, you wouldn't get it.

I dunno. A friend recommended this book, but not too highly, so I take it with a grain of salt. It was a good book for between heavy books I think. So if you're looking for something like that, then by all means, go for it.

No comments: