Monday, February 18, 2008

Week 10: Making it over another hurdle!

So, week 10 is now upon us and again I'm feeling really anxious. 2 weeks takes such a long time while at the same time going really fast. It's very wierd.


This week's appointment was another milestone because we would be able to hear the heartbeat this time. I use "we " liberally here though because sadly M could not be there. Since starting his new job, we've known that he would have to do simulator training on his new plane in Miami for a month. However we didn't know it would coincide with the 10 week appointment and that he'd have to miss hearing the heartbeat for the first time.

Luckily I have an amazing friend in BT and when I asked her to come with me to this 10-week appointment, she said "Of course. It'd be my honor." I know this is a strain on her because of her demanding job, her training and her committment to her husband. But I'm glad she could come because if anything (god forbid) went wrong like it did last time, I don't think I could handle it on my own.

So, on Friday Feb 15th, BT and I trekked on down to the dr's office. After about a gazillion medical history questions (Thanks BT for helping me remember whether I had specific vaccinations or not!) it was time for the gel and Doppler. Melissa, my Nurse Practitioner/Midwife, did her standard speech. I know now that it's standard because it's exactly what she said to me and M last time we tried to get a heartbeat. I mean, it was practically verbatim. So I was instantly filled with a sense of dread. Even though we saw the heartbeat 2 weeks ago.... I just couldn't be sure.

THANKFULLY Melissa found the heartbeat in less than a minute. And o mi god, what a sweet sound that was. BT came to my side and held my hand, tears in both our eyes. Even though my baby daddy couldn't be there, I was so grateful that BT was. Later, BT thanked me for letting her be there. After all, not often in one's life does a hospital visit result in a positive experience.

I immediately emailed M (who was in the sim at the time) the good news and called the 2 other people who knew about this baby. And now I'm feeling more confident in this baby's survival. And although nothing is guarantee, I wanted to tell my good friend at lunch that day. She was one of the few who knew I miscarried last time and was very supportive, so I thought that no matter what happens, I know she will be there for me. I'm itching to tell more people now, but I know that niether M nor I want to take any unnecessary risks right now. We're superstitious, suspicious and generally weary of spreading the news. At the same time, we both want to share our happiness! So it's a wierd place to be in. I find myself wanting to blog about this because, as you would expect, this is a huge thing in our lives right now! But at the same time, I can't go public for another 2 weeks.

So, I've decided to blog and save drafts until the second trimester is here. Which might help explain why I've had a bit of radio silence at times during the last month and why there's a flurry of blogs all at once in the beginning of March!

For ease of use for readers, all the pregnancy blogs are labeled, so if you're only interested in catching up on those (or not interested in reading them at all), you can just filter them.

Oh, here's an update on what Baby Dixon's size is like now:

As crazy as it seems with the baby's teeny size, it is able to swallow fluid and kick. Vital organs — including kidneys, intestines, brain, and liver— are in place and starting to function. The baby's limbs can bend now. The hands are flexed at the wrist and meet over the heart, and the feet may be long enough to meet in front of the body. From crown to rump, the baby is about 1 1/4 inches long. (Source: babycenter.org) Hopefully this doesn't gross anyone out, but it helps to get a better visual of what the baby might look like:

No comments: